Please ASK AN OFFICER before giving treats
to horses. Many of the horses have medical conditions that prohibit them from having treats, fruit, grains, or
treats is generally not allowed for several reasons. Many horses at the sanctuary are on restrictive
diets and cannot have "treats" for medical reasons. Horses also become accustomed to receiving treats and
become "nippy" sometimes biting visitors and other volunteers.
Treats are to be given to a horse
when and only when he is ready to be returned to the field. Please do so when he is by himself and not in close
proximity ot other horses. Do not go out into the fields with a handful, armful, or bucketful of food, thinking the
horses on the other side of the field won't notice. Before you realize it, you will be in the midst of a number
of horses in stiff competition.
Do not ever feed a horse food that
is slimy or moldy! Mold is toxic to horses. If you find moldy food, throw it in a receptacle not accessible to
horses. If there is a large amount of spoiled food to be disposed of, please bury it in the large manure pile or burn
the spoiled feed.
Under no circumstances are the horses to be
fed sugar cubes, peppermints, or any similar treats. These are not "average" horses; many have digestive
problems or ailments which can be aggravated by the ingestion of these items.